What is Physical Therapy?
Physical Therapy as defined in RA 5680 (Philippine Physical Law) is a health care specialty that provides services to people to develop, maintain and restore maximum movement and functional ability throughout the lifespan. It identifies and maximizes movement potential within the spheres of promotion, prevention, treatment and rehabilitation.
Similarly, the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) defines physical therapy as a dynamic profession having an established theoretical and scientific base and widespread clinical applications in the restoration, maintenance and promotion of optimal physical function. It helps individuals who have developmental impairments, activity limitations, and participation restrictions related to (1) conditions of the musculoskeletal, neuromuscular, cardiovascular, pulmonary, and/or integumentary system or (2) the negative effects attributable to unique personal and environmental factors as they relate to human performance.
What are physical therapists?
Physical therapists are health care professionals licensed by the PRC who are responsible for delivering physical rehabilitation services or programs for patients who need to recover or improve their physical and functional capabilities.
SJDEFI – College of Physical Therapy
The College of Physical Therapy aims to form a physical therapist who will live out Christian and Vincentian values while delivering competent physical therapy services in a global society.
Specifically, the College aims to mold a Physical Therapist who:
- Recognizes the value of one’s knowledge of the principles and foundations of the profession in its application to patient care
- Utilizes one’s personal analytical, critical and decision-making skills as a health care provider at all times
- Demonstrates professional and clinical competence in applying scientific principles and techniques in actual patient care
- Shows enthusiasm and dedication in improving the quality of delivering of PT services to those in need of its care through continuing education and research
- Shows empathy and genuine concern for patients at all times
- Practices and upholds the ethical standards in the practice of the PT profession